Falls Clinics are designed to investigate the cause of your falls. Each clinic has a team of professionals dedicated to finding the cause of your falls and preventing further falls.
An initial overview assessment will be carried out to identify whether a more detailed examination is required from the doctor, nurse, physiotherapist or occupational therapist.
If you are seen by a physiotherapist in the falls clinic, they may want to perform a special assessment called a Physiological Profile Assessment (PPA) that is used to determine your risk of falls and can help to explain exactly why you are falling.
There are three falls clinics across Southwark and Lambeth. If you need to attend the clinic an appointment will be made at one of the following clinics which is closest to your home:
- Guy's Hospital, London Bridge
- King's College Hospital Older Persons Assessment Unit
- Whittington Centre, Streatham.
Many people who fall will be seen by a physiotherapist. Physiotherapy can help to reduce your risk of falls by assessing your strength, balance and co-ordination and providing an exercise programme targeted to your individual needs. Don't worry if you are not referred for physiotherapy, as there may be another form of treatment that is best suited to your needs.
As part of your falls management, you may be referred to an occupational therapist.Occupational therapist's assess a persons ability to carry out activities of daily living independently. Sometimes as a result of falls or fear of falling, people stop doing, or find it more difficult to do, some of these activities. These include walking around the home, getting on/off of the bed, chair or toilet, bathing, cooking, cleaning, shopping and outdoor activities. Our aim is to assist you to minimise your risk of falls to enable you to live independently in your own home.
Occupational therapy treatment may involve any of the following:
- Rehabilitation in personal care (washing and dressing) and domestic activities (cooking and cleaning)
- Education and advice on coping strategies for falls, including anxiety management
- Education and support for carers
- Advice on leisure activities
- Home assessment to identify your ability to manage safely at home and the need for providing specific equipment for your home.